Tent making/ Acts 18: 1-3

Posted by Chancie Martin Chancie Martin
A neat fact I learned this morning in my devotional that I wanted to share and make you think about a new level of dedication some people have to spread the word of Christ to different nations.
 Acts 18: 1- 3
 1-After this, Paul left Athens and went to Corinth. 2-There he met a Jew named Aquila, a native of Pontus, who had recently come from Italy with his wife Priscilla, because Claudius had ordered all the Jews to leave Rome. Paul went to see them, 3-and because he was a tent maker as they were, he stayed and worked with them.

 Tentmakers refer to people who worked in leather, possibly related to working in the goat hair cloth that was made in Cilicia.
 ***From Beth Moore devotional, "To Live is Christ"
 'According to Operation World, "There are about 60 nations in the world where 'tentmaking' is the major means for gaining entry into a country and in 33 of these it is the only way."

 They are surrounded by an entirely different belief system, no means of public worship, they are isolated, lonely and long for Christian encouragement. They have to think of creative ways to share their faith and carefully slip a few pages of Scripture to those who are interested. They could face death if caught. They do this because of their dedication to spreading God's word. We, as Christians are called to spread his word in safe places for some and dangerous places for others. My husband, Jon and a few others just recently got back from Russia. On their passport it says the reason for going is 'Humanitarian aid' because if they say they are passing out Bibles or spreading the word, they can't get into the country. They did have a close encounter with the police while visiting a village but by the Grace of God, an old widow had taken them in her house as her guest. All I ask for those that read this is to please pray for those that are called out of the country to spread God's word and to also go within yourself and serve. I've heard many times people saying, 'Oh, I did that for many years now its someone else's turn.' And, then they never help in another spot that needs help. They feel as though there done. Or you'll hear, 'Oh, I can't do that. That's not for me.' What? That's not for who? Someone else's turn? I sure hope that when we, and I'm guilty of it too, say those statements God convicts my heart to realize what I've just said and changes my view. He's not asking me to learn the trade of 'tentmaking' or going to countries where the Bible & God's word is outlawed. He's asking me to serve in my own church and bless others. It's so worth it to share the word with others or just read a Bible story to little ones, help youth that are going through so much or encouraging another member at church to stay dedicated to serving. We are all called to serve. Retirement is for Heaven. Enjoy the gift that God gives us, Grace and the promise of everlasting life with him.