GOD is AWESOME!!

Posted by Chancie Martin Chancie Martin
God is awesome ! I just have to say that before I start my journal entry today. After a busy Friday, Saturday and now Sunday, I just want to thank God for blessing me with my husband of 13 or 14 years. (I never can remember) I try to tell him that it’s only because it seems like yesterday that we got married that I never can remember. I’m sure many mothers of children can relate with me on this one: I can always tell you the year that things happened based on if I was pregnant and what children I had at the time. I did not have any children when we got married! That’s my excuse and I’m sticking with it.
It has been a week and few days since I wrote my last journal entry (story). To my readers, it’s the next journal entry with no time passed by. I have been struggling with starting up this blog and to be honest, I’m still struggling. How could I possibly write anything that anyone would want to read that will bring them closer to God ? I love reading out of Beth Moore’s devotional. She is so full of energy and life. She inspires me to be a better person because I can relate to what she says. She knows her stuff. So, how could a fairly new Christian wife and mother who still turns to her husband to explain a simple Bible verse explain anything out of the Bible? The only answer I could come up with is I can’t but God with his wisdom can through me. Have you ever been a little blue and you heard a song or a person from out of nowhere changed your mood? Did you ever stop to think that maybe that was God’s way to give you a little boost to your otherwise blue mood? My boost today came from my preacher’s sermon and then again with our ladies Bible study.
This morning was a typical Sunday morning. It started with my alarm clock going off at 6:00 am and me hitting the snooze button for the next thirty to forty minutes until I gave in to a nice hot shower. It was the first Sunday of the month, which meant that our Sunday school class brings breakfast in before we start our lesson for that morning. My husband is the cook in our marriage and I’m the cleaner and organizer! My idea of cooking is drive – thru unless they want Taco salad, Chicken and rice or breakfast. If you think I’m kidding just ask my husband. He’s the opposite. He thinks cooking is relaxing after a long day at work. It’s just something about a clean house that seems to relax me and standing in the kitchen cooking doesn’t. Now, I love to bake though! If we could live off sweets, I’d cook all the time. So, anyways! Our Sunday school class always asks if we (meaning Jon) is going to cook pigs in a blanket. On Sunday mornings like this morning my duty is to get Jon up earlier to start on cooking his little piggys. I did my duty.
To understand how our preacher’s message hit home for me and helped move me to write this journal entry I need to rewind back to yesterday and maybe add a few details from the night before (Friday night). There are only a few times in life you can rewind, DVR recordings and writing. Friday night, I had volunteered my husband and I to babysit my twin 3 yr old nieces and 2 yr old nephew. To give you a head count that breaks down into being a 12 yr old, 10 yr old, 7 yr old , (2) 3 yr olds and (3) 2 yr olds. One of the twins went home early and I had help from a friend to help with baths and getting settled to watch a movie in the living room. They started drifting off at 11:30 that night. We were tired from our normal Saturday routine of soccer games! I was very thankful to have a babysitter for the younger group that got to the house at 8:00 am in the morning so we could leave for the games. Since, the younger group of kids have no concept of time in the morning, they were up an hour before the babysitter got there. So, needless to say, I got left behind while Jon took the older kids to the field to get ready for their games. I wasn’t far behind. While I was riding down the interstate alone I was able to think about my day and I mapped out what needed to be done. I kept thinking about this website and what I thought God wanted me to do. I had so many thoughts along with my to-do list for the day. The thought that kept replaying in my head was “I have no business starting up something as important as a website that talked about God’s words. Was I even worthy enough? Maybe, I think God gave me this gift of writing and I’m wrong. And, the thought that scares me the most is, “What if I think a verse means one thing and I’m wrong about that too. These are God’s words, his Precious words.”  Along with this website in mind I was thinking about my own life and the choices I have made in my life that affect others (others, really meaning my kids and husband). How many times do we as parents, in trying to do the right thing for our children end up missing out on what is important in life, our children.  I just recently had test run to see if I had ADD because I have always been a constant thinker, on the go and felt like I had a motor running inside. Our daughter, Gracie was diagnosed with ADD and I have always heard that kids can only get it through their parents. My husband, Jon is a brain and is as calm as can be, so, it had to come from me. The funny thing about my results now that I look back at it was I went in for the doctor to confirm that I had ADD but instead she said I had OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder). It was not funny at the time though. She was very impressed with my writing score. It was above average. It was the only skill above average because the skills in being a mother and wife can’t be measured. In my opinion they don’t make a scale large enough to measure our skills. I do not have a bad case of OCD. I see it as a plus to being a mother of five. Things stay in order and are neat. I’m teaching my children the importance of living in an organized and clean house.
The one thing I find neat with listening to God’s words is, we sometimes if not often, hear his words spoken to us through different speakers, events, radio, TV shows, etc… if we keep our ears focused on hearing him. It’s like we have our own personal conversation with him that no one is included on but is there when it’s spoken. I think it’s because everyone is different and needs to hear different things from him. We were talking about something similar to this in Sunday school with Martha, Mary and Jesus when Lazarus had died. You can find the scripture in John 11: 17-44. What we had talked about was how Jesus comforted them differently depending on their needs at the time of their brother’s death and soon to be resuscitation after being dead for 4 days.
John 11:17-14 NIV
17-On his arrival, Jesus found that Lazarus had already been in the tomb for four days. 18-Bethany was less than 2 miles from Jerusalem, 19-and many Jews had come to Martha and Mary to comfort them in the loss of their brother. 20-When Martha had heard that Jesus was coming, she went out to meet him, but Mary stayed at home.
21-“Lord,” Martha said to Jesus, ”if you would have been here my brother would not have died. 22-But I know that even now God will give you whatever you ask.”
23-Jesus said to her, “Your brother will rise again.”
24-Martha answered, “I know he will rise again in the resurrection at the last day.”
25-Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies, 26-and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?”
27-“Yes, Lord,” she told him. “I believe that you are the Christ, the Son of God, who was to come into the world.”
28-And after she had said this, she went back and called her sister Mary aside. “The Teacher is here,” she said, “and is asking for you.” 29-When Mary heard this, she got up quickly and went to him. 30- Now Jesus had not yet entered the village, but was still at the place where Martha had met him. 31- When the Jews who had been with Mary in the house, comforting her, noticed how quickly she got up and went out, they followed her, supposing she was going to the tomb to mourn there.
32-When Mary reached the place where Jesus was and saw him, she fell at his feet and said, “Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died.”
33-When Jesus saw her weeping, and the Jews who had come along with her also weeping, he was deeply moved in spirit and troubled. 34-“Where have you laid him?” he asked.
“Come and see, Lord,” they replied.
35-Jesus wept. (The shortest verse in the Bible)
36-Then the Jews said, “See how he loved him!”
37-But some of them said, “Could not he who opened the eyes of the blind man have kept this man from dying?”
38-Jesus, once more deeply moved, came to the tomb. It was a cave with a stone laid across the entrance. 39-“Take away the stone,” he said.
“But, Lord,” said Martha, the sister of the dead man, “by this time there is a bad odor, for he has been there four days.”
40-Then Jesus said, “Did I not tell you that if you believed, you would see the glory of God?”
41-So they took away the stone. Then Jesus looked up and said, “Father, I thank you that you have heard me. 42-I knew that you always hear me, but I said this for the benefit of the people standing here, that they may believe that you sent me.
43-When he had said this, Jesus called in a loud voice, “Lazarus, come out!” 44-The dead man came out, his hands and feet wrapped with strips of linen, and a cloth around his face. Jesus said to them, “Take off the grave clothes and let him go.”
After, Sunday school the preacher started his lesson off with a story on Author Berry that moved me so much that I wanted to share it with you. It’s about a famous jewel thief that finally got caught. He was caught and was put in jail for his crimes. He received a lot of requests for interviews however would only do one interview and one question that we all need to ask ourselves. It reads:
All went well with Arthur until someone came to the little town and recognized him as the famous jewel thief. As the news spread as to who he was, reporters came rushing in from the large city newspapers to interview this reformed criminal. One of the questions that was put to Arthur by a young reporter was this one: "Arthur, we know that you have taken from some of the wealthiest people in the world. Do you remember who it was that you stole the most from?" Without a moment's hesitation Arthur answered, "The person that I stole the most from was Arthur Berry. I could have made a contribution to society. I could have been a stock broker. I could have been a teacher. I could have been a successful businessman. I could have done all of these, but instead I spent two-thirds of my adult life in prison. I have spent a lifetime robbing myself."
How many of us are robbing ourselves and robbing God by not using our time and our lives wisely? We are given the opportunity every day to see how we will act and react to circumstances and situations where we can forget about ourselves and lend a helping hand to others or show the love of a merciful Father. The prophet Micah spoke the truth when he said, "He has shown you, 0 man, what is good; And what does the Lord require of you but to do justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God? " (Micah 6:8).
One thing out of many that I love about the way our preacher preaches is that he grabs your attention and runs with it. I kind of took this as an answer to my question about this website. No, I’m not perfect and yes I am a sinner. I am human. But, this isn’t about me. It’s about what God wants from us to do for him. Share his words!

1 Comment

Lisa Lisa

Re: GOD is AWESOME!!

I would like to make a comment about your first story of Ella being at deaths door. How you made a small request to God before going into the hospital. It made me think of the poem Footprints. Often we do forget that we do have someone out there that will lift us in troubled times. That's a great feeling. There is so much meanest out there. Sometimes it feels as though the devil is winning then as you reflected in your last story, you will hear about some kind of miracle, a baby being found under a pile of debre in Japan. Or about a cat or dog helping its owner from a burning house. What up with that? Animals? Yes! God can and will use the meekest to do his will. We can't forget that God has a plan for everyone and everything. I agree God is awesome!!